Fry Sauce & Grits: China Cabinet Makeover with Miss Mustard Seed Milk Paint

Thursday, April 10, 2014

China Cabinet Makeover with Miss Mustard Seed Milk Paint

Oak China Cabinet Redo from Fry Sauce and Grits

This post has been a long time coming.  After all of the Christmas festivities, I made it a goal for the New Year to paint this 80's looking oak china cabinet we've had in our living room for the past three years.  It was time for a much needed paint makeover.  I didn't want to do a latex paint and have it look really glossy.  I wanted it to look like I spent a lot of money on it and wanted to make a statement with this piece.  This china cabinet has some really good bones, is made from solid wood, and has really beautiful antique brass glass leaded windows and shelves.  After some research I came across this stuff called milk paint.  Milk paint is normally known for having that chippy look, I knew I didn't want the chippy look on this china cabinet. I saw pictures of milk paint where it was smooth, not chippy, and it looked gorgeous.  So that's when I decided to use Miss Mustard Seed's Milk Paint to do the job. 
Milk Paint China Hutch Makeover from Fry Sauce and Grits



Here's the before and after pictures.  I used Miss Mustard Seed's Milk Paint in Typewriter for the exterior and Trophy for the interior.  The first coat of paint, I mix in the bonding agent so it would stick to the wood.  The great thing about milk paint is that you don't have to do any prep work like sanding or priming the wood before you paint, just add the bonding agent to the paint, and ta da!  After three coats of paint, I applied two coats of hemp oil, and one coat of furniture wax to give it extra protection because I don't want to ever paint this piece of furniture every again!

China Cabinet Before and After from Fry Sauce and Grits





The only thing I switched out was the knobs.  I got these Gatehouse antique brass knobs and really like how they're simple, classic, affordable, and have a black ring in the middle that goes really well with black color.  One of the things I really liked using the milk paint, is that it has the most beautiful finish.  It has a matte finish, but as you add coats of hemp oil and furniture wax, it gives it more lustre and the wax really brings out the wood grain, which looks absolutely gorgeous with the dark color.  It gives it some texture to the piece which makes it look really interesting and chic looking.

Antique Brass Knobs from Fry Sauce and Grits

The white china I have is the perfect contrasting color against the grey and black.

Leaded Glass China Hutch from Fry Sauce and Grits

I love opening up the door and seeing a different color, I feel like it gives the china cabinet so much more depth and character.


Grey Interior China Cabinet from Fry Sauce and Grits

Here's the rest of my white china, I love the way it looks, it makes me so happy!


China Cabinet Milk Paint Makeover from Fry Sauce and Grits

I took some of my blue and white china pieces from my kitchen and put them on top of the cabinet.  I think it gives the cabinet such an elegant look, which is what I was really going for in the room.

Black China Cabinet from Fry Sauce and Grits

Next week I'm going to dive into the nitty gritty about how to work with milk paint, the pros, the cons, what worked and didn't work for me, questions to ask yourself about whether or not milk paint is the best option for your next project, and tips that Marian the creator of Miss Mustard Seed Milk Paint gave me.

*Disclosure: Miss Mustard Seed generously gave me milk paint products in exchange for posting about how I used them on my china cabinet makeover.  All opinions are 100% mine.  

16 comments:

  1. Looks fantastic! I just bought my first bag of her Milk Paint last weekend and am getting ready to try it out! I also bought some of the hemp oil, do you just apply it with a rag?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In her instructions she recommends a lint free cloth, but I couldn't find one. I tried the best thing I had and it left lint all over the thing( I used a white cloth on a black color, so no wonder you could see all of the lint). So I recommend just using a brush and applying the hemp oil not too generously, or it will take forever to soak into the wood. If you do use a cloth, make sure it matches the same color as your paint.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Thank you my dear! Can't wait to meet the new little babe!

      Delete
  3. Love the colors! I've never heard of milk paint! Can't wait to hear more about it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never heard about it until just recently. It's non toxic, has no odor, and it's easy to apply!

      Delete
  4. Looks great, Courtney! Your china really pops against it. I love Milk Paint...I think it is actually easier than chalk paint. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wendy, I've never tried chalk paint! I need to try it so I can compare!

      Delete
  5. Looks amazing Courtney!! Thanks so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jessica, thanks so much for visiting! Love you!

      Delete
  6. This turned out stunning! I love it. I have a few pieces that would benefit from some painting, so I'm looking forward to your tips:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ginnie! I really liked the way this turned out but I've learned that milk paint isn't great for EVERYTHING. I'm excited to share with you my tips and tricks on using milk paint.

      Delete
  7. that turned out awesome! i love a good DIY :)

    xo SideSmile,
    Ashley
    SideSmile Style

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ashley, thank you! This was by far the most time consuming one, but I think it really paid off!

      Delete
  8. It looks great! I have a big cabinet similar to this I'm wanting to paint but couldn't decide in the color. I love this color!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for linking to last weeks Whimsy Wednesday! I featured you in my roundup today...you can see the post here!

    http://www.ohmy-creative.com/home/furniture/thrifty-furniture-makeovers/

    Love your furniture makeover! It is amazing what paint can do!!

    Susan

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...