Fry Sauce & Grits: DIY Bakers Twine and Bell Garland

Tuesday, December 3, 2013

DIY Bakers Twine and Bell Garland


DIY Bell Christmas Garland Decor from Fry Sauce and Grits

Hey everyone, it's Courtney.  I want to share with you one of the easiest, cheapest, and quick "crafts" I've done all year.  Do you have some bells laying around the house?  Why not turn those bells into a fun and festive garland for your mantel, doorway, tree, or wreath.  This little decoration has added so much character to my mantel.  Check out how I made my DIY Christmas Bell Garland!
  



How this all came to be: One thing about me is I have an obsession for organizing other people's crap.  People think I'm way organized because of this and the truth is I struggle at it.  It's easy for me to see people's mistakes when it comes to their disorganization.  It's so hard for me to realize what I'm doing wrong when it comes to my organization.  Kind of messed up, I know.

Anyway, a couple weeks ago I was helping my mom tackle one of the biggest hurdles in my parents house.  Their disorganized and chaotic storage room in the basement.  I wish I had a before picture (bad blogger), but pretty much you couldn't open the door and there was stuff stacked on top of each other (hazard) and it's been like this for several years.  While cleaning I was afraid of find some dead things because who knows the last time it was cleaned. As we were cleaning out the storage room my mom went through ALL of her Christmas decorations and made a large pile of ones she wanted to get rid of.  I found a bag of bells, I asked my mom if I could have them, she delighted in the idea.

I was on Pinterest doing some research of ways I could use these bells.  Of course, I came across the overly done bell wreaths and cluster ornaments.  Then I found this.  It was meant to be.  This bell garland was pretty much the easiest craft session I've had in a LONG time.  It took me less than 20 minutes to make and hang, and there was no gnashing of teeth or pulling out of hair.
DIY Bell Garland from Fry Sauce and Grits

You only five things to make this garland: baker's twine, 21 bells, ruler, scissors, and a thick needle.

The first step is measuring the length of your twine.  I measure mine around nine feet (this is for a mantel).  

Then I threaded the twine in the needle, and then put the needle through notch that is located at the top of the bell.  

Jingle Bell DIY Garland from Fry Sauce and Grits

Then I decided I wanted to space my bells around 4" apart.  Make sure you start at one side of the garland.  Don't start in the middle (completely chaos).

Festive Bell Garland Tutorial from Fry Sauce and Grits


Once I got it where I wanted it on the twine, I tied a double knot.  Then threaded the next bell, and spaced it four inches apart, then tied another double knot.  Continue until you feel like you have enough on your garland.  Make sure to leave space on each side so you can tie it to something. And that's it! 

DIY Bell Garland Tutorial from Fry Sauce and Grits
I think it adds another great layer to my fabric banner my friend Amber made for me last year, thanks Amber!  

Christmas Mantel Decor from Fry Sauce and Grits

Eclectic Christmas Decor from Fry Sauce and Grits



15 comments:

  1. This is gorgeous!! I love everything on the mantle. I always go for red, green, and gold at Christmas time. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kalee! It's pretty eclectic, but I just use what I have on hand so I don't have to spend more mula!

      Delete
  2. LOVE LOVE LOVE this! Thanks for the idea!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Replies
    1. Hey Lindsay! That's a huge compliment coming from you!

      Delete
  4. I LOVE this! There are so many things that you could do with this...pinning right now and sharing on FB/G+! :)
    Thanks for posting this on the Daily Blog Boost today!

    - Brooke -

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Brooke, thanks so much for taking the time to comment!

      Delete
  5. I'm stopping by to let you know that I am featuring this cute garland on my blog today as one of my top DIY Christmas picks.

    http://www.lifeasmrslarson.com/2013/12/my-diy-christmas-picks.html

    ~Jessie~ Life as Mrs. Larson

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This made my day! Thank you so much for the mention!

      Delete
  6. Court, do you have a tutorial for that wreath?! I love it!

    PS This garland is my kind of craft! Love it! And you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Camille, the wreath tutorial is from here: http://www.womansday.com/home/craft-ideas/Craft-How-to-Straw-Burst, love you too!

      Delete
  7. This is really cute. I can imagine it hanging near a doorway, so as guests come in and the wind rushes in, the bells give a little jingle. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Andrea! That's a great idea! I bet the kids would love to hear the bells ring whenever anyone walks through the door! Thanks for visiting!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...