Fry Sauce & Grits: The Easiest Homemade Coconut Syrup Recipe

Thursday, December 26, 2013

The Easiest Homemade Coconut Syrup Recipe

My Grandma Kathy on my mom's side has a recipe that is above all recipes.  It's a staple when we have waffles, pancakes, french toast, and crepes.  Breakfast without this recipe isn't the same.  It's rich, delicious, flavorful, takes your breakfast to the next level, and sadly it's not low in fat or sugar.  I wouldn't eat it everyday, but I do consume it on those special occasions.  I'm introducing you to the Easiest Homemade Coconut Syrup Recipe.

Easiest Homemade Coconut Syrup from Fry Sauce and Grits


Here is what you need:



Easiest Homemade Coconut Syrup

1/2 cup real unsalted butter
1/2 cup buttermilk (substitute 1 cup milk with 1 TBS vinegar) 
1 cups sugar
1/2 tsp soda
1 tsp coconut flavoring

Melt butter, sugar, and buttermilk in a large and tall stock pot and boil one minute. Lower temperature to medium.  Add soda (when adding soda, it will foam up quickly so be careful to keep temperature lower and keep stirring).  Add coconut flavoring.  Take pot off of stove, let foam subside, and ladle into jars or containers.  Refrigerate up to three months.  



This coconut syrup makes AWESOME neighbor gifts too!  I quadrupled the recipe a handful of times and made these gift tags and am planning on passing these babies out this weekend to our friends and neighbors.  I think it's totally OK to pass out Christmas gifts after Christmas, what do you think?


I hope you enjoy this cherished family recipe and that you had a happy and Merry Christmas with your family!  

9 comments:

  1. This sounds so good. You should make a pin-it button so I can pin from my phone. I can't hover over the pic & pin it, but I do want to try this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amber, thanks so much for the advice. I didn't even realize that!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love coconut but have never really thought to make a syrup! This will go good with our New Years waffle bar! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jesseca, this will be a hit at your waffle bar you're having for New Years!

      Delete
  4. At what point do you add the buttermilk?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dana, thanks so much for catching that! I edited the instructions to include that. You combine the butter, buttermilk, and sugar and bring it to boil, boil it for one minute. Thanks so much!

      Delete
  5. Looks so good! I have never heard of coconut syrup before but I would love to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This sounds UH-MAzing! My pregnant sister has been obsessing over coconut everything, so I will have to pass this along to her. I recently posted a coconut choc chip cookie recipe she found. Saw you were on the FB page for BYBC--can't wait to meet you there! -Aimee

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aimee, you're so sweet. Thanks for linking up to our party! YOu're so sweet, I can't wait to meet you in person at the conference! It's going to be a blast!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...