Fry Sauce & Grits: A Memorial Day to Remember

Wednesday, May 29, 2013

A Memorial Day to Remember

Memorial Day was a really special day.  It was my Dad's birthday and it was spent with family and remembering those we've lost and truly loved.  That morning we went to one of our favorite ma and pa breakfast place called Granny Annie's.  They have fried scones as big as your head and slathered with a half cup of rich and sweet honey butter, and yes I did eat one all by myself.  When you eat at Granny's you always leave wishing you brought your fat pants with you.     

After a large and mighty breakfast we visited my grandpa's grave site nearby.  Grandma hasn't been there since he died last July.  It's been emotionally overwhelming for her since my Grandpa died.  I'm glad she had enough courage to relive that sad day when she had to bury the love of her life for over 70 years.

While we visited we talked about our favorite memories of him and how he is dearly missed.  Amelia was born a month after he died.  That time was a really hard time for me because I've never had someone so close to me pass away.  I was hoping and praying that Grandpa would still be around to see his great granddaughter who is named after his mother.  What brings me great comfort was knowing Amelia got to spend some time with him before she was born.  








My little brother Cameron and my little Sister Caitlin

We visited my great grandma and grandpa Craig grave sites in Salt Lake.  Amelia is named after my great grandma Millie.  





I'm loving Caitlin's high waisted mom shorts she got in Germany.  




After visiting grave sites all day, it was time to relax and do what we do best, eat Craig style.


I hope you had a great Memorial Day.  What are some of your family traditions you do with your family on this day?  From now on I'm going to make it a tradition to visit my ancestors on Memorial Day.  When I die, I want someone to come visit me.  


8 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thanks Amber! You're so sweet to visit our tiny blog.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Thanks Heidi! That means so much coming from you!

      Delete
  3. LOVE your blog name :)! Awesome! and it looks like you had a wonderful memorial day weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Karina, haha our blog name was a labor of love. Hopefully it sticks.

      Delete
  4. I love family get to-gethers and miss living close to mine. Your family is adorable. Congrats on the new blog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Leanne, where do you live? Sometimes when you live close to your family you take them for granted! I'm guilty of this! Thanks for visiting our blog! You're such a sweetheart.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...