Fry Sauce & Grits: DIY Retro Metal Chairs Makeover

Friday, May 17, 2013

DIY Retro Metal Chairs Makeover

DIY Spray Paint Metal Chairs Makeover Tutorial

When McKay and I moved from the 600 sq foot apartment into our house, we felt like we were living in a mansion. We didn't have much furniture, so I was desperate at the time to find anything to fill up our house.  One day I was at the local Deseret Industries and an instant love affair with this pair of retro metal chairs.  I could hear a Neil Diamond love song in the background playing.  I ran over to them so I could stake my claim and $20 dollars later I was the happiest of women.  These two chairs sat on our front porch for two years.  The year 2013 was the year they were going to be resurrected. 


Supplies:

-spray paint primer (one can per chair) (Used Valspar in White)
-spray paint color of your choice (one can per chair) (Used Valspar in Gold Metallic)
-wire brush
-tarp or painters cloth
- washcloth, sponge, or sink brush
-soapy water
-ventilated space
- time and patience


Here's the metal chairs in all of their rusty and bronze glory.  


 Sorry for the way bad blurry iphone pic.  As you can see these chairs had rust stains all over them.  


Unscrew the seat from the chair (make sure you keep your screws in a safe place!)  Like true Antique Roadshow style, I did some research on Virtue Bros Of California and found out some really interesting information about the company.


They kind of look like metal toilets.  


Take your metal brush, and brush the rusty spots so the metal has a nice and even texture.


Had all of my supplies ready.  


Had the whole family outside with me.  I make my projects a family affair.  Find the closest spot to your hose and spray them down.


I took some dish soap and scrubbed the chairs down so their nice and squeaky clean. I happened to use a festive reindeer sink brush to do the job.  Looking at its smiling face made me feel happy while doing this dirty job.

The next two parts I didn't get any pictures!  Lame, I know.  I laid down a painters cloth and sprayed two coats of primer.  One can coated one chair.  I waited until the next day to make sure the primer was all dry.  Then I sprayed two coats of gold metallic spray paint from Valspar.  

When the chairs were all done, I decided to do an impromptu photo shoot with the Little Miss.










This is where these two retro chairs are now residing, tucked under our dining table.  This is a better spot for them now.


Well, hello Mr. Garden Gnome



1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...