Fry Sauce & Grits: 7 Easy Baby Headbands

Wednesday, June 12, 2013

7 Easy Baby Headbands

DIY Baby Headbands from FrySauceandGrits.com
I'm always looking for ways to use scraps of  fabric, old clothing, and embellishments I have laying around the house into my projects.  One night last week, I couldn't shut off my overstimulated mind, so instead of laying in bed for hours, I decided I was going to get up and do something.  I got this creative burst of energy at 1:00 a.m. and went downstairs to my "creative" room and created seven headbands for Amelia.  I felt so productive and as soon as I was done, I went upstairs and was able to go back to sleep!  Creating things, help my mind to calm down.  FYI, these were all easy and I was able to make them all within a hour.  

Flower baby headband from FrySauceandGrits.com

To make this headband was so EASY!  For this flower headband I purchased a white baby satin stretch trim, you can get this at Joann's Fabric (if you have a 50% coupon, it makes it really cheap).  The plastic flowers are from Pick Your Plum.  I measure the headband so it will fit her head.  I used this as a guide for the length of the stretch trim:

Infant and Baby Headbands Size Chart
You may also provide your head measurement for a perfect fit!  
  • Newborn (12 inches)
  • 0-6 Months (13 inches)
  • 6-12 Months (14 inches)
  • 12-18 Months (15 inches)
  • 18-24 Months (16 inches)
  • 2-3 Years (17 inches)
  • 4-5 Years (17 inches)
  • Older (18 inches)
 Once I cut the trim, I hot glued it together.  Then to finish it, I added each tiny plastic flower to the headband in a random sequence.  Five minutes later I was done!  Done in a SNAP!   

Baby Glam Headband from FrySauceandGrits.com

I had a couple of thick headbands I bought many years ago for me and never liked them because they were too tight on my head :(  I got fed up with storing them in my bathroom and I was just about to throw them away, when I had the idea to use them for Amelia!  A couple months ago, I made a DIY Glitter Peter Pan Collar on a shirt and let's just stay it was a disaster.  Instead of throwing away the shirt, I cut the glittered collar off the shirt, and cut leaf shapes out of it and layered them (with hot glue) on the headband to get this fan effect.  

If you don't have a glitter Peter Pan collar, to make a glitter fabric you'll need to get some permanent fabric glue.  I used a foam brush to brush the glue evenly on the fabric.  I used a generous amount of glue on the fabric and poured a lot of glitter on top of it.  Press glitter into glue and let it dry overnight and violia!    

DIY Fabric bow headband from FrySauceandGrits.com

This headband took the most time, which was 10 minutes!  I found this awesome no sew tutorial on how to make the bow.  I got the fabric from Riley Blake Designs.  Once I made the bow, I glued it to the headband.  

Baby bow headband from FrySauceandGrits.com

This headband was also incredibly easy.  I cut a piece of gold striped fabric, took the headband and squished it together to get the gathered look.  Hot glued the gathered part together on the headband and wrapped the stripped fabric around it and hot glued it in the back to secure it and tada!  

Felt baby headband from FrySauceandGrits.com

This year I made a felt heart garland where it hung across our mantel in our family room.  I had some left over hearts, I took colored thread and sewed a colorful border around the shape of the heart.  I made three of these in different colors and sizes and hot glued them to the headband.  

Stylish Baby Headband from FrySauceandGrits.com

This is one of my favorites.  I got a scrap of fun Art Deco fabric from Modern Yardage and cut out a piece of it, hot glued it to some white felt that was cut to the shape of the fabric, and hot glued it to the headband.  

Easy baby headband ideas from FrySauceandGrits.com

I cut a piece of an old white embroidered skirt I used to wear ages ago and pinched the bottom of the fabric  together to make the gather and hot glued it together.  I took a piece of chartreuse green wool and wrapped the base of the gather and glued it in the back to secure it.  Then I glued the entire thing onto the headband.  

I hope you enjoy making these headbands as much as I did. Let's hope you don't have to make them at 1:00 a.m., but if you do, more power to you!  

17 comments:

  1. oh my goodness, these are all so cute! I cant wait to have a baby girl so I can have her wear lots of cute headbands like these!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Aimee! Having a little girl is really fun.

      Delete
  2. I love these! They are so adorable. And what an adorable model you have!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kari, you're so sweet. Sadly I can't take much credit for her looks, she looks exactly like her daddy.

      Delete
  3. I agree with Kari - I can't take my eyes off of the model. My 4-year-old seems certain there's a baby girl waiting on me :) I hope so, because I'd love to play with cute headbands like these!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, I hope you get a little darling too!

      Delete
  4. DARLING. Love these ideas. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. OMG I have a 7 month old and have been looking for headbands, and they are all so expensive for the really cute ones. Thank you so much for the ideas they are all sooo cute!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Shafia! I felt the same way. You can spend up to $10 buying one headband. It's pretty ridiculous. Also, I didn't have to buy anything for these headbands, I used stuff I had around the house.

      Delete
  6. This is honestly too cute! Such an adorable model as well.

    Thanks for sharing at Project Inspire{d} ~ pinning!

    Have a lovely weekend,

    Mary Beth

    ReplyDelete
  7. TOTAL FAB!! What a beautiful little angel, too! Great pics and great ideas (a little talent from you, to boot).
    Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is so kind of you! Pretty much you made my day!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...