Fry Sauce & Grits: Paleo Chia Seed Energy Bars

Monday, April 21, 2014

Paleo Chia Seed Energy Bars



T-minus one month until Caitlin's wedding and I've been trying hard to eating better, no sugar, limit grains and dairy, and eat tons of fruits, veggies, and lean protein so I can fit comfortably into the dress I'll be wearing to the wedding.  To keep me motivated I've had to do some research on some desserts that will satisfy my sweet tooth.  I found this recipe for Chia Seed Protein Bars from All Day I Dream About Food and didn't have the exact ingredients this recipe called for.  So I substituted some of them with what I had in my kitchen.  These Paleo Chia Seed Protein Bars turned out really good and they taste almost as sinful as a candy bar, but in a more healthy way.  These bars are dairy free, sugar free and paleo!   These are perfect for on the go, for a dessert, or a midday snack.
Paleo Chia Seed Protein Bars (makes 16 bars)
1/2 cup coconut oil
1/2 cup almond butter 
1/2 cup stevia
1/2 cup whey protein powder (I used chocolate flavor)
1 cup coconut flour
1/2 cup chia seeds
1/2 cup almonds chopped (optional)

Chocolate Drizzle:
2 tbs coconut oil
2 tbs stevia
2 tbs cocoa powder

Instructions 
  1. Line an 8x8 inch pan with parchment or waxed paper.  Make sure to have extra paper on all sides.
  2. In a medium saucepan over medium heat, melt coconut oil, almond butter and stevia together until smooth.
  3. Stir in protein powder, coconut flour, chia seed and chopped almonds.
  4. Spread mixture in prepared pan and refrigerate until set, about two hours.  When set, lift bars out by grasping edges of parchment or wax paper.  Cut into 16 squares or bars.
  5. For the chocolate drizzle, combine coconut oil, stevia and cocoa powder in a small saucepan over low heat. Stir until smooth and spread over bars.
  6. Bars should be stored in the refrigerator to stay firm.  

4 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...