Fry Sauce & Grits: Swig Sugar Cookie and Dirty Diet Coke Birthday Party

Wednesday, April 23, 2014

Swig Sugar Cookie and Dirty Diet Coke Birthday Party

Last week was McKay's 31st birthday.  I kind of waited to the last minute to plan something for his birthday, like the day before.  So I didn't have much fun to prepare anything extravagant.  I love to throw get togethers with our friends, but I'm not the type of party planner who has exquisite looking centerpieces, arrangements, and food hutches like you see on Pinterest.  Nope, that's not me.  I try to strive for simplicity because seriously, all that people care about at a party is that there's good company and good food.  Nobody is going to care about the printables, matching colors, and goodie bag.  Last month we traveled to Southern Utah and fell in love with Swig and I thought it would be so fun to throw McKay a Swig themed party full of cold sugar cookies and dirty Coke's!  I texted a bunch of our neighborhood friends letting them know of the birthday party and we hung out in our backyard, ate, drank, the kiddies ran around while the men played basketball and the girls chit chatted.  It was the perfect, non stress, relaxing, and carefree birthday party.  This is a great last minute birthday party idea because it's so easy.

Swig Themed Birthday Party from Fry Sauce and Grits


Dirty Coke Party and Recipe from Fry Sauce and Grits

The first thing you need for a Swig party is the dirty Coke drink.  For this party I used Diet Coke because I don't know anyone who's not watching their figure.  My sister Melanie posted the recipe for the Dirty Coke drink here.  

The best sugar cookie recipe from Fry Sauce and Grits

The next step is the delicious sugar cookies.  If you don't have time, you can go to your local Swig and pick up a bunch.  I don't have one close to me so I did some research and found a copycat recipe here, but I also found this one that looks very similar here (I haven't tried this one yet).  I made the cookies the day before, let them cool on a wire rack, and then put them in a glass casserole dish with a lid on it and put them in the freezer.  

Swig Sugar Cookie from Fry Sauce and Grits

They turned out really good.  What makes a Swig cookie is to have the icing room temperature and the cookie cold.  You ice the cookie right before you serve them.  Eating this sugar cookie is so delicious with the coconutty, limey, and creamy coke in hand.  This is 100% an Utah tradition, but it's a really easy and affordable way to feed a large crowd and have an excuse to get together with friends.  Hope you enjoy!

9 comments:

  1. Now thats my kinda party!! I am a sucker for a good Dirty Diet Coke! Seriously almost dont even like coke plain anymore because Ive been so spoiled by them! Those cookies look amazing!! I'll have to throw a springime party like this! Sounds fab!
    ~Laura

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha. I don't even drink pop, but I cannot resist a dirty coke!

      Delete
  2. I still haven't tried swig even though there is one in Provo now. What am I thinking? This seems like a fun, easy and delicious birthday party idea!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my gosh, I was totally thinking of doing the same thing for a game night! I always make WAY too much food! I, too, am obsessed with Swig. I live in SLC and don't think I haven't driven down to Provo to get one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hear there's a copycat Swig in SLC. I cannot remember the name of it!

      Delete
  4. Court!!!!! Swig is in Bountiful now, like 2.5 seconds from me!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...