Fry Sauce & Grits: Healthy Chocolate and Coconut Oil Mug Muffin Recipe

Tuesday, September 3, 2013

Healthy Chocolate and Coconut Oil Mug Muffin Recipe

I've been SO excited for fall to arrive this year!  Don't get me wrong, I love summer, but I've been getting tired of the heat.  I heart fall because it gets me all nostalgic of cool crisp weather, thick sweaters, wearing socks with boots, hot out of the oven pumpkin chocolate chip cookies, football games, school starting up, and the changing colors of the leaves.  During this festive time of year my biggest weakness comes out in full force and that is my sweet tooth.  Let's be honest, it can get a little out of control.  I inherited this very dominant gene from my mother.  

To help curb my sweet tooth I've been making healthy desserts to help me get through this time without having to go buy larger pants.   As I have been on this heath and fitness crusade I've found a bunch of healthy desserts I can enjoy and that satisfies my sweet tooth, but the one I'm sharing with you today is one of my favorites!  

Healthy Chocolate Coconut Oil Mug Muffin from FrySauceandGrits.com




This Healthy Chocolate Coconut Oil Mug Muffin recipe is my to-go recipe when I want something sweet, chocolate, healthy, and fast.  You can make it in less than five minutes!  This recipe was actually created as a breakfast option. I love it so much, I like to eat it for dessert too! 

Healthy Chocolate Coconut Oil Mug Muffin (makes 1 serving)
2 Tbsp coconut flour (you can substitute almond flour or ground flaxseed)
1 1/2 Tbsp stevia
1 Tbsp cocoa powder, heaping
1 egg
3 Tbsp almond milk
1 Tbsp coconut oil
splash of vanilla extract 
pinch of salt
pinch of cinnamon or chili powder for a kick 

Mix all dry ingredients in a large coffee mug, then add wet ingredients.  Place uncovered mug in a microwave and cook for two minutes.  *I like to pour more milk on top of it to make it more of a bread pudding!  Let the mug muffin cool off for a few minutes and enjoy!  

Nutritional per serving: Calories 300, Fat 23 grams, Carbs 24 grams, Protein 9 grams (this is for coconut flour and coconut oil)

Recipe adapted from LeanMoms.com



Parties I'm partying at:
This Gal Cooks

20 comments:

  1. This looks so tasty! I can't wait to try it out. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Becky, you would really like this recipe! It was so much fun seeing you at Oh Sweet Sadie! You're looking so fabulous!

      Delete
  2. Oh my goodness! I want this for breakfast! I even just got home from the gym so I can still eat this cause it's healthy! ;) Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, Kami! I feel the same way. When I do a good workout, I go home and treat myself to this dessert!

      Delete
  3. This looks so decadent, it's hard to believe that it's actually healthy! I'm with you on the sweets... it's hard to keep my sweet tooth under control. Unless the dessert is healthy, Im going to have to "just say no". Thanks for sharing a great recipe!

    Yvonne @ TriedandTasty.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Yvonne for stopping by! It was such a treat to finally meet you at Oh Sweet Sadie! Let's get corndogs real soon!

      Delete
  4. These look de-lish!! Must try for sure. Thanks
    Lori
    Lori's Culinary Creations

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lori, thanks so much! That means so much to me, especially coming from a pro recipe blogger!

      Delete
  5. Healthy quick snack? SOLD! What is the texture like? Is it fluffy or dense?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Kaylyn! The texture is more fluffy. If you want it more dense you can use wheat flour.

      Delete
  6. I had no idea there was such a thing as coconut flour! Interesting.....I'll have to try this out seeing as how chocolate is my biggest weakness!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I normally use ground flaxseed because its a little cheaper than coconut flour. But the coconut flour is really delicious!

      Delete
  7. These sound both healthy and tasty! I've never heard of coconut flour and will have to see if I see it at our health food store.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Paula, if you can't find coconut flour, you can always use ground flaxseed.

      Delete
  8. Any idea as to what I could use in place of the Stevia. I'm actually kind of allergic to the stuff.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can use agave syrup. It's a lot like honey, but has a lot less calories.

      Delete
  9. I made this tonight and it was good. Pretty filling too. I entered the ingredients into Fitness Pal and came up with 2 grams of carbs, not 24 grams. I thought it looked like too many carbs at 24 grams. So glad it was only 2 grams. It really hit the spot!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Farm Girl Wannabe! I'm so glad you like it! I got the nutritional facts from another source. If it has 2g of carbs, that's awesome!

      Delete
  10. This looks so good! I cant wait to try it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much my dear! It's so easy to make!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...