Fry Sauce & Grits: "Easy" and "No sew" Gold Polka Dot Burlap Curtains

Thursday, October 31, 2013

"Easy" and "No sew" Gold Polka Dot Burlap Curtains

Sometimes I really enjoy doing DIY projects.  Sometimes I don't.  This is was certainly the latter.  After I made what felt like a million different trips to JoAnns and Michaels and spent two of my days off working on these curtains, I had second thoughts about this project.  At that point I was thinking I should have just ordered those curtains I found online because this is taking way too much of my time and energy!

But, alas, I pressed on.  And I made some dang curtains!  Please learn from my mistakes if you attempt these.

Easy Burlap Curtains



I used this tutorial I found online as a starting point on how to make "no sew" burlap curtains.



I thought that a white burlap curtain would look good in the nursery since I wanted to add some texture to the room, and also keep the window trimmings nice and light looking.

Here's what you'll need:

7 yards of burlap (I opted to use white instead)
Heat n Bond Ultrahold (5/8 in)
Scissors
Tape measure
A few pins
Iron and ironing board

I went to JoAnns with a 50% coupon on my phone planning to use it on the burlap.  After I had the burlap cut and went to go pay for it, the lady at the register told me I couldn't use the coupon because the burlap was on sale for $2.79 a yard from $3.00.  Okay, whatever, so I ended up spending $2.79 a yard instead of the $1.50 a yard I thought I was going to.  Strike 1.  So the fabric itself ended up being about $20.  Still very cheap for curtains.

Once I got home, I laid out the fabric and cut it in half so I had two different panels to work with.  Then I took the edges and measured about 10 inches down.

measuring curtains


Then I put a pin at 10 inches to mark my place.  I folded the burlap over on the edges and ironed a little bit of a crease so that they folded over easier.

folding curtains

You can also see in this picture I put the original "no sew" adhesive I bought called Stitch Witchery down.  I would not recommend it though.  For some reason, I could not get it to adhere.  I followed the directions perfectly, and it wasn't even getting tacky.  Strike 2.

So, then I was super frustrated and I figured why am I even toying with this Stitch Witchery stuff?  I'll just pull out my sewing machine... I have a beast of a sewing machine.  A Pfaff 139 from the 1950s.  It is awesome, but it is also a pain in the rear.

For some reason, I have never really been able to get the tension settings correct with it, and it always jams in the bobbin.  Really, I need to have it cleaned, tuned up, and someone teach my how to adjust the freaking settings.  But, there is no time for that when you're on a DIY frenzy and you want something done.  If there happens to be a Pfaff 139 expert out there somewhere, please contact me.  I need your help.

Pfaff 139

Anywho, so I lugged out the sewing machine from the garage.  It was jamming about every three inches.  So, I thought this is not working and it will take me all night.  Strike 3.

So, I went back to JoAnns and talked to a very lovely lady about the different "no sew" adhesives for about 15 minutes. This was of those moments where you think, "Who am I?  Talking to the lady at JoAnns at 8:30 on a Tuesday night about iron on adhesives?" Sigh.

She suggested Heat and Bond.  It is similar to the first one I tried, except you peel off one side, then iron, then peel off the second side and iron to adhere.  I bought it, took it home, and it worked!

I pulled out my ironing board to make it easier, and it probably took me 20 minutes to finish the pocket hem on the curtains.

I opted not to hem the sides and bottoms of the curtains because

1. I was REALLY over it at this point, and
2.  It just added to the "texture" of the overall look of the curtain

Here is how they turned out.

Easy burlap curtains

Do I love them?  Meh.  Do I hate them?  No.  Do I wish I would have just ordered the ones I actually wanted online, spent $80, saved two days off, the headache, and burlap flurries all over my house? Yes.

Oh well.  Please tell me I'm not the only one who just wants to pay for convenience and to make my life easier sometimes.

I wanted to add a gold polka dot to the curtains, because everything looks better with a gold polka dot! Just ask Kate Spade!  But, I was afraid it would make the already "homemade looking" burlap look just darn crafty.

So, I experimented on a piece I cut off the bottom.  What do you think?  Should I do it?

Gold polka dots

Heck, now that I think about it, I might just do it!  If it looks terrible I will use the burlap to make 20 Christmas wreaths and just order the curtains I actually wanted from the start.

I mixed Martha Stewart Crafts Multi-Surface Metallic Acrylic Craft Paint in "Light Gold" and "Green Gold" because I wanted a color in between.  And I used the sponge dabber to freehand the dots.

Maybe I am just not cut out for some of this DIY stuff!  But, it is fun to get creative and feel like you made something with your own two hands.  I might just have to stick with painting faces though.

4 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thanks Kara! I think for most people who aren't me, it would be a fairly easy project!

      Delete
  2. I love the curtains, but yes many times DIY is a pain in the rear

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heather, I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one who feels that way!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...