Fry Sauce & Grits: Pumpkin Pork Enchiladas

Monday, October 28, 2013

Pumpkin Pork Enchiladas

A couple of years I was in the mood for something chicken and pumpkin for dinner.  I searched on the internet and found this Pumpkin Chicken Enchilada recipe from Gluten Free Mommy.  Since then it's been my favorite enchilada recipe.  I started to experiment with this recipe and found that I like it even better with shredded pork!  This recipe is easy to make, fast, delicious, flavorful, and not loaded with calories like normal enchiladas are.  If you wanted to mix it up, instead of doing enchiladas you could make it into a layered casserole and swap out the pork for chicken!  Its very versatile!  I used up the rest of a pork loin we had the night before for dinner.  I got to use up boring leftovers in a new and delicious way.   It's a win-win for everyone!  


Pumpkin Pork Enchiladas from FrySauceandGrits.com



Pumpkin Pork Enchiladas Makes 6 servings 
12 corn tortillas
3 TBS of cilantro 
3 TBS of green onions 
1 lbs of leftover shredded pork 
1 can of roasted green chilies 
6 oz. of white sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
Sauce
1 can of pumpkin puree (15 oz)
3-4 cloves of garlic, peeled
1 jalapeno (remove seeds and membranes if you don’t need extra heat)
1 teaspoon chili powder
1/2 teaspoon cumin 
2 teaspoons of salt
1/4 teaspoon of pepper
1 1/2 cups of chicken stock
Directions:
Preheat oven to 425 degrees. In a blender combine the canned pumpkin, jalapeno, chicken stock, garlic, chili powder, cumin, salt, and pepper. Place 1 cup of this sauce in the bottom of an 8 inch glass casserole dish. In a bowl, combine shredded chicken with green chiles, cilantro, and/or scallions and season with salt and pepper. Place some of the chicken mixture on each tortilla and then lay the tortilla seam side down in the casserole dish. Pour the remaining sauce over the enchiladas. Top with cheese and leftover ingredients such as scallions and cilantro.  Bake for 20-25 minutes until cheese is melted and casserole is bubbly.
I hope you enjoy this simple yet delicious recipe.  It's my family's favorite dinner to eat during the fall. 

18 comments:

  1. This looks really good - pinned!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Summer! Haven't seen you in a while!

      Delete
  2. This looks amazing! I love pumpkin in savory recipes! Pinning!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I couldn't agree more with you. Pumpkin savory dishes are the best!

      Delete
  3. Yum, love pumpkin and pork together! Pinned for later to try.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mary Ellen, thanks so much for visiting the site. This will definitely be a crowd pleaser!

      Delete
  4. Pumpkin Pork?? Whatchoosay? Really - I'll have to try this - it looks amazing! Pinning!

    Yvonne @ TriedandTasty.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yvonne, haha, you're so funny! Up for the World's Best Corn dog?

      Delete
  5. What a delicious combination! I'll have to try this for sure! YUM!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kaylyn. BTW, you have the hottest pants! You're so fashionable.

      Delete
  6. This is so unique! I have never seen a pumpkin dish like this! YUM!

    ~Amber @ DessertNowDinnerLater.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so surprised you've never heard of it before. You're always coming up with creative stuff on your blog.

      Delete
  7. Replies
    1. Hey Sheena, this recipe is really good. I know you'll love it!

      Delete
  8. I love this creative use of pumpkin! Pinning, and adding this to my menu for the week! Thank you!
    Audra@PainlessMeals.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Audra, how sweet. Thanks for visiting and pinning the recipe!

      Delete
  9. Oh my word, these enchiladas sound fab! Saw you over at TT&J - love your blog! Pinning to try these soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for visiting! I hope you enjoy!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...