Fry Sauce & Grits: Makeup Basics: How to properly clean your makeup brushes

Thursday, October 3, 2013

Makeup Basics: How to properly clean your makeup brushes

I know you've been reaching for that powder or blush brush every morning and you've been thinking, "Ew, I really need to wash this!  No time now, I will do it later."

Well, now is a great time to de-gunk those fluffy little friends.  Makeup build up on brushes can contribute to bacteria, break out, and uneven makeup application.  No thanks.

I recommend washing your brushes about every other week.  Let's be real though, some of them probably only get bathed monthly.  But, some of them on the other hand I wipe down after every time I use them (i.e. my Bobbi Brown Ultra Fine Eyeliner).  If not, the product builds up on the brush and I want that baby to stay nice and thin.

Here's my quick guide on how to properly clean your makeup brushes.
After all, quality brushes are not cheap.  So in order to keep them in great condition, you need to take care of your investment.




1.  Start by wetting your brushes under running water.  Hold the brush with the hair facing downwards.  You want to avoid water getting in the metal or wooden handle.  If water settles in that area, it can break down the glue over time.

2.  Then add a little bit of a brush cleanser to the palm of your hand.  Gently swirl the brush, letting the soap lather.  You can also use a gentle antibacterial soap or baby shampoo to clean them.

3.  Rinse the brush under the running water.  Repeat the cleansing process until the water runs clear.  This make take a few times with your bronzer or blush brush.

4. Gently squeeze out any excess water from the brush.

5. Reshape the brush to it's natural state, and lay flat on a towel to dry.

I like to wash my brushes at night, so that they are dry in the morning when I need to use them.  There are brush cleaning sprays that work great for quickly cleaning the color out of a brush so you can immediately use it.  They are the best for when you're in a hurry, or want to use the brush with multiple colors of makeup.

These are my top picks for makeup brush cleansers.


What other questions do you have about makeup brushes?  I am happy to try to tackle any of your bristly issues!


8 comments:

  1. Oh I so need to do this. Thanks for sharing. PINNED!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pinned and tweeted - really good advice, I think a lot of people don't realize how important it is to keep those brushes clean.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I need to do this--great tips, thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is on my to do list today. Thanks my sweet daughter. Love ya.
    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for sharing. It is important to clean our brushes to make them last longer

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oops im on Caitlins line, how did that happen?

    ReplyDelete
  7. So good to know! Thanks so much for the info!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I needed this. At the conference you looked flawless! So excited to have a new friend and amazing blog to follow.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...