Fry Sauce & Grits: Living Room Decorating Ideas Phase 1: A Commitment and Plan

Monday, August 5, 2013

Living Room Decorating Ideas Phase 1: A Commitment and Plan

I love interior design. I secretly wish I would have become an interior designer.  Let's just throw it out there.  Yes, I have expensive taste.  I always tend to draw towards the stuff that's the most expensive.  Can any of you can relate?  Like many of you reading this, I love high end design but don't have a high end budget.




When I moved into my house over 2.5 years ago I had a lot of grandiose plans.  Our house had solid bones, it was kept very clean, but needed some updating.  I made a list of everything I wanted to change, rip out, paint, and redo.  It was a VERY LONG list.

I was so excited to become homeowners and to be able to use the knowledge and skills I learned about how to decorate beautiful spaces in the interior design classes I took in college.

The wannabe interior designer in me sketched out each room of our house and had each room planned out as how I was going to place the furniture and decorate.  We moved into our house and everything seemed to be going to plan when I started to change my ideas about this "plan" I had. 

I found myself not using the space as I thought I would have used and my "plans" for painting, remodeling, ripping out carpet, and reupholstering came to a screeching halt.  I felt confused as to what I really wanted, not being able to compromise about decor with the Mr., feeling insecure about my "style", feeling overwhelmed, and not knowing where to start. 

You know how life goes, life gets busy: new job, moving, school, and having a baby. Things get put on the back burner.  

So our living room has been neglected.  Some attempts to decorate have been made when I paid an up and coming new interior designer to create an e-design for me.  I didn't tell McKay about it and surprised him with the design, well let's just say it didn't go over well and he absolutely hated it. 

Our living room is the first space you see when you walk into our house.  It's really important to have the living room be a statement piece because its going to set the tone for the rest of the house.  Ever since my sisters and I have started this blog, it has been my goal to get our living room decorated!  Blogging has given me this new confidence for ways to use my creativity and because I'm on the computer a lot, I've found a lot of new inspirations.  I'm planning on doing this HUGE project in stages so I can stay sane through all of it.  

Here is what our living room looks like now, sorry for the fuzzy iphone pictures!

Living Room Makeover from FrySauceandGrits.com


This is the view from the top of the stairs, looking down.

Living Room Wall from FrySauceandGrits.com

Seriously, who frames wallpaper with crown molding?  This was one of the first things to go down when we moved into our house.  Sadly, I wasn't patient enough to wait for McKay to get home so I took the crown molding off the wall and most of the wall came with it &%$^!  

Front Entry Makeover from FrySauceandGrits.com

The front door and entryway

Window Benches from FrySauceandGrits.com

The view of the north facing window benches

Living Room Before Makeover from FrySauceandGrits.com

The nicest piece of furniture I own is the designer damask couch I got off of KSL Classified for a steal!  

My list of things to do for this room are the following: 

1. Replace the carpet and laminate floor with wood flooring 
 2. Paint the china hutch
3. Rip out the carpet on the window seat and create a cushion for the window seat upholstered armchair 
4. Get rid of hand me down love seat and purchase another armchair 
5. Paint room a lighter whiter color 
6. Do something about the wall going up the stairs
7. Add more lighting to make it not so dark 
8. Make curtains for the north facing window seat
9. Hang pictures and artwork
10. Paint the front and back of the front door
11. Replace baseboards molding

I realize with my small budget some of these projects are going to take a long time to finish, or I might find it doesn't fit into my budget so I'll have to make do or get really, really creative.  Some of the items I'm willing to do diy but there's some I think it will be worth to spend the money to get it done professionally.  Also, I need to remember what my mom always tells me about decorating and a room and a home, that it doesn't happen overnight, and it's ok for it to take weeks, months, or 20 years (she's saying this from experience).       

Just a few of the inspiration I found during my I can't fall asleep so I get on Pinterest until the early morning  Pinterest sessions.




couldn't find the source! :(


I'm a little Celtic knot obsessed Source 





I can't wait to get started and this time around I'm committed!  Any tips on overhauling a room on a budget and by yourself?  What rooms are you working currently working on?  

21 comments:

  1. This space has such potential! I'm looking forward to seeing the transformation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Paula, I'm going to need all the good wishes to get this project done on a budget!

      Delete
  2. I love the window benches! But I understand where you're coming from. We've been in our house for almost 2 years, and I can't seem to do anything with it. We have one large room that is a family room and dining room, and it's booooring. You've kind of brought back my itch to decorate...maybe not with framed wallpaper. hahah

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Seriously, what were the previous owners thinking that framed wallpaper would be a great option for decor. I feel like with any big project its all about timing. I'm so glad I didn't start doing all of the redos I wanted to do when we first bought the house because my style and what I wanted has changed like five times since we moved in. Good luck with your living room let me know how your family/dining room makeover goes!

      Delete
  3. My living room is super boring right now, too. Ugh. I need to breathe some new life into it!! I'm excited to follow along with you as you revamp yours!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Briton. It was so good to meet you at the Connective Circle. From the looks of you, I can tell you have great style. I bet your living room is at a better stage than mine!

      Delete
  4. I hate projects. I tried to buy a house that was clean, neutral walls, & well-kept. I am slowly realizing that I will need to get new carpet & flooring in the kitchen & bathrooms. We have had so many problems & we haven't even lived in our house for 1 year. So all our money has gone to fixing repairs, not remodeling. But I think that's hilarious about the wallpaper thing. Good luck with your renovations!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fixing repairs is definitely more important then decorating, but it's also not fun to spend your hard earn cash on it either :(

      Delete
  5. Our living room is in need of an update and this is inspiring for me! Thanks for posting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lori, that's why blogging is so great, you feel like you make somewhat of a difference in someone's life.

      Delete
  6. I feel your pain - my living room needs some help, but there are never enough hours in the day, nor dollars in the bank. Best of luck my love!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey gorgeous! I can agree with not enough hours and money. You need to stop posting pictures of all those delicious donuts on instagram. I'm keeping my local donut joint in business because of it!

      Delete
  7. I love all of the bright colors in your inspiration pics. I need to do something with my living room, but am SO unmotivated!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jesseca! Thanks for visiting! My motivation is stemmed from feeling fed up with having an ugly living room that doesn't reflect me! You'll find your motivation, it's all about the right timing!

      Delete
  8. The biggest thing that changed my house is to paint the trip white and the walls tan. Such a big exciting project, I can't wait to see the after pictures. Here is some of my home reno pictures. Hopefully they inspire you! http://charliethecavalier.com/house-tour

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lisa, just got done looking through your house makeover and you did such a great job! What a difference a little paint and new features like a floor can do to a space. Thanks for visiting and for your inspiration!

      Delete
  9. Wrapping paper framed in crown molding?? CRAZY!!!! Your inspiration photos are fun - I like the first one the best!

    Yvonne @ TriedandTasty.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yvonne, I couldn't agree more about the first picture being my favorite! Thanks for visiting!

      Delete
  10. Thanks! This post contains very significant ideas and facts that every reader should be followed. Great idea indeed.Home Remodeling Birmingham

    ReplyDelete
  11. I just reread this post and I like it so much. Mostly because I have totally revamped our living room in the 3 years we lived here. I think it went through 2 phases before I really found my true design desires. We had a dark leather couch that I hated and I convinced my husband to let me sell it and take what's ever money I got to redo the living room. We'll I sold it on ksl for 900$ and took that and completely redid my living room paint an all. It's been really fun

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amy, I want to see pictures of your new living room! I've been trying to sell a bunch of our old stuff so I can fun our living room makeover. Thanks again.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...