Fry Sauce & Grits: New Additions to the Family

Wednesday, March 26, 2014

New Additions to the Family

I've been really, really, really excited to post this for a while because I feel like it's going to make Fry Sauce & Grits even more eclectic, I hope all of you like that, haha.  Next weekend McKay and I will be adding a lot of new tiny members to our family.  Their small, fuzzy, yellow and black, have wings, and they make the most delicious yellow stuff.  If you guessed honey bees, then you're correct!


It's been a thing McKay and I have been wanting to do for some time now, but got kind of scared of spending all of the money to get the bees, equipment, and supplies you need to keep a beehive.  WELL, we met a guy at our local farmer's market who was selling his honey. We bought a quart of his wildflower honey (it's freakin delicious btw) and we talked to him about how to get started with beekeeping.  He told us about how he has dozens of hives and he does a mentorship program where he looks for foster families to house his hives where he'll show and teach you how to take care of the hive and for exchange for housing the hive, he gives you honey.  We were so excited, and jumped all over it!

 We're really excited because next weekend we'll be getting the bees and hives!  I can't wait to learn how to take care of these amazing creatures and to educate all of y'all the benefits of beekeeping for the environment, for your health, and how it will make your plants and garden flourish!  

So expect a bunch of informative posts on here about beekeeping and a beginners guide because McKay, Amelia, and I are beginners and we have a lot to learn.  

6 comments:

  1. Fun! Since I'm highly allergic to bees, this wouldn't be a good move for me. But I do have a few (distant, thank goodness) neighbors who have beehives and they love it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sorry to hear that! That's good you can still benefit from the bees without having to house them in your yard!

      Delete
  2. Oh my gosh- I read your post on FB and freaked out!!! I thought you were pregnant. That was TOTALLY a MEAN MEAN trick! ha ha ha!
    Bees are cool too, though. :) Hopefully they don't wake you up in the night!! :) ha ha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, I'm sorry. I thought it was funny, but a lot of people didn't think it was! I hope I didn't cry wolf!

      Delete
  3. I can't wait to hear all about it! We have thought about getting bees, but have been too scared!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Aimee! We're in the same boat, too scared to take the big leap. This way we'll be able to slowly move into the idea.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...